What kind of submissions are we interested in?
We are hugely interested in seeing your work, it's our lifeblood, but we only publish certain types of books so please read on and look at our website carefully before sending.
We publish mainly photography books, occasionally illustrated books too, and mostly by a single artist about the below topics. Remember, we have to be able to sell the book, so unless the project has some appeal to a wider audience (through subject matter, quirk or pure emotional force) it won't work for us.
- London, particularly east London
- The city in general
- Nature. Particularly where nature meets the city.
- Architecture (this is a new direction). Particularly urban architecture
- Food (another new-ish directIon). We are looking for unusual, niche books about, particularly one with a strong human story behind it.
- People (we love books with stories and personality)
- Humour in general (but not too crass - quirk with thought)
- Food (it must be unusual) with (the potential for) great photography
- Art and design in general
- Anything that is totally mind-blowing we haven't thought of
How to submit a project:
1) Send us an email to info(at)hoxtonminipress.com with the subject line ‘SUBMISSION – name of project’ (otherwise it won't get through)
2) Attach a PDF of 10-20 images (compressed under 8MB) or send us a link to a website (only if you are happy it represents a clear edit of your work)
3) DO NOT SUBMIT A WETRANSFER LINK (they die after a while)
4) Here’s the tricky bit. In your email tell us what your project is about in
less than 30 words. We’re not dumbing down, we are in the business of making art photography accessible to a wider audience.
5) If you can’t explain your work succinctly (however niche it is) then we probably can’t convey it persuasively to a group of non-photography specialists browsing in a shop.
How long will it take to hear back?
COVID UPDATE: As with many small businesses we are being pressed by Covid and it's having an impact on the speed at which we can get back to you. We also get a lot of emails and are a small team so it may take over a month to get back to you with a firm answer. If you still haven’t heard after SIX weeks – please write again but do bear with us, your submission is important to us.
A note on finances.
Wherever possible we do not ask the photographer to front any cash. We also always offer royalties on all submitted titles as it's our aim to support our photographers as much as we can afford. But occasionally we will not be able to do a book without asking for some financial support - it may be because the project is wonderful but doesn't have a big commercial appeal. If so, we try and keep the support as low as possible (and certainly lower than many other photography publishers). This is a change in policy from when we started and when we tried to do all our titles without financial backing but we soon found that some books, which we thought worthy of publication, could not pay for themselves. Unfortunately, this is a reality of the market.
On being or not being accepted
If we like your work we'll be in touch! But, remember, if we don’t accept your work it’s not because it’s bad, it’s because it doesn’t fit with our brand and tone. Being a photographer requires a soft heart and thick skin, a rare combination, so we are very sorry if we have to turn you down. We ourselves have had our own work repeatedly rejected from other publishers - hey, maybe that's why we publish.
Martin and Ann.